Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Doh & Oops & Time to Stop Caring About It
Today is my swing shift, where I switch from working 7am to 4pm (usually much later) to 1pm to 10pm for one day of the week. I have this concept that I will sleep in on this day so I'm not dozing off at my keyboard at 9pm, but something always happens to prevent that. This morning when Rob's alarm went off I woke up enough to remember that there was a payroll deadline to meet by 10am. Bah. In the process of getting my corrections done, I realized I had screwed up on something - not just once, but twice during this pay period. Normally I would fess up to this, but I'm resisting the urge. My habit of finding and admitting my own mistakes has not served me well at at this company. Besides, I've been under the microscope for 6 months now so I'm sure it will be discovered without the need for me to bring it to anyone's attention. I'll just consider it part of the plan to stop doing X and start doing Y. I managed to follow that plan somewhat yesterday when I noticed a major scheduling mistake and ignored it since that was X and not Y. Of course, it caused all sorts of problems this morning that could have been avoided if I'd said something about it yesterday. I felt guilty for a while, but then I realized that X wouldn't get done once I no longer worked there so it might as well not get done now. Given the contradictions in my last review which make me damned if I do and damned if I don't, it's high time to stop caring about any of it beyond trying to get another paycheck or two out of the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment