Saturday, April 07, 2007

Jack of All Trades, Master of None
I'm at work today and I get an IM from one of my co-workers over at the new place (we have new center and are gradually all moving over there.)
Co-worker: Can you call the Big Boss for me? I'm having trouble reaching his cell phone for some reason.
Me: Sure, what's up?
Co-worker: It's cold over here and the thermostats are just set to cool, no heat. I can't find the key for them.
Me: Do you remember how to make a paper clip key?
(I showed him how to do this a while back when we couldn't find the key for the paper towel dispenser.)
Co-worker: No.
Me: K, I'll be over in a bit.

Once again, I am the fix-it person around the place, be it printers, computers, thermostats, coffee pots, recalcitrant file cabinets, sticky doors or uncooperative toilets. It's a role I've played most of my working life, even when I'm one of the few women (or only woman) in the workplace. I've never figured out how I'm able to fix stuff when no one else can - I guess I just think differently which enables me to determine there's actually a paper jam even though the printer display says it's out of toner. And on many, many occasions, I fix things just by standing next to the misbehaving device and doing nothing - go figure. I don't know if it's a knack, a talent or some sort of subconscious communication at a mechanical level, but I'm sure if there was a test for such a thing that I'd score way above the average folk. Because when no one else at the office can fix it, I usually can. Just another one of life's little mysteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment