Friday, March 11, 2005

Work schedule experiment part two
5:30 AM
I survived my four 10 hour days in a row and today is the first of my three days off. This morning started off just like a workday - up at 5 AM to let the dogs out and make coffee. I didn't have enough energy to stay up late last night (as in past 8 PM) and the dog's bladders are on a schedule so they were ready to go outside at the usual 5 AM time. I know exactly how they feel since I'm on a bathroom schedule at work. Both the dogs and myself are going to enjoy the simple pleasure of being able to go to the bathroom WHEN EVER WE WANT this long weekend.
6:30 AM
Normally I would have spent this last hour rushing around taking a shower, eating breakfast, attending to the dogs and slamming down coffee. Instead, I READ BLOGS and LISTENED TO MUSIC. The first 23 or so years of my life I spent my mornings listening to music, but then I married a TV nut who would rather hear the drone of the talking heads on CNN instead of Iron Maiden's "Two Minutes to Midnight" at full volume. Rob's not quite the TV nut that my ex was, but he's still asleep for an hour after I get up and it would be downright rude to crank up the stereo. I can pull it off this morning because I can stay put and listen in headphones. Hmm, maybe I should invest in a set of wireless headphones. I've decided the main goal of this long weekend is rediscovering those little things that make day-to-day life worth living. Quite frankly, I've been downright miserable for months now and I'm tired of it.
7:30 AM
WATCHED THE SUN RISE or rather, watched the effects of the sun rise from the back deck. I can't actually see the sun rise from my house since we are down in a hole, but I could watch the wispy clouds turn from purple to pink to yellow to white. Pretended I was CAMPING, my favorite thing to do. Saw Rob off to work and then hooked up the speakers to the laptop so I could be headphone free. Thought about doing laundry, but went back out on the deck.
8:30 AM
Took out the trash and swept the front part of the house while listening to loud music. This took quite a while because the broom spent more time being used as a make-believe mike stand and/or guitar than it did sweeping. After spending almost an hour pretending to BE A ROCK STAR, I was pooped and sat down with a Cape Cod. Egads, I'm DRINKING ALCOHOL at 8:30 in the morning!
10:30 AM
I spent the last two hours sorting CDs into alphabetical piles hoping to find the missing Helmet CD. I'm only half-way through them. I don't think I'm going to find it. Time to move on.
11:30 AM
Cooked me up a BRUNCH of eggs, sausage and TOAST WITH GRAPE JELLY. Had another Cape Cod while LOUNGING IN THE SUN on the back deck with Sullivan.
2:30 PM
Spent hours matching loose CDs to their cases. Still no sign of the Helmet CD.
4:30 PM
More CD organizing. Found a software CD I've been missing in the music CDs. It's an upgrade for Rob's favorite image editing software. Spent a half-hour looking for the original version CD so I could install it. Couldn't find it so maybe it's eloped with the Helmet CD. Did a load of laundry and DRANK BEER on the deck. Talked to Rob who's on his way home and bringing me more BEER.
6:30 PM
Rob made it home after a typical harrowing Friday afternoon battle with traffic. He's been vedge-ing in front of the TV and I've been out dillo-ing. Dillo-ing is a term a friend of mine came up with on a camping trip to describe the process of rooting around in the brush looking for twigs and small branches to use to start a camp fire (the noises one makes sound rather similar to armadillos rooting around. ) I made a nice pile of twigs and few medium sized branches to get a good coal base going in the the chiminara for the two mongo logs left over from the last time I got wood at HEB. The only trick will be keeping Theo from running off with them before sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment