Friday, March 18, 2005

BECAUSE YOU GET USED TO THINGS BEING A CERTAIN WAY

And when they change it kind of fucks with you. Take today for example, my journeyman was off and I had the choice of coming in and riding with the foreman and his apprentice or having a 3 day weekend. After a short discussion last night with Ann, I opted to go in because we needed the money and there will certainly be chances at long weekends down the line. My journeyman and I have fallen into a predictible pattern over the months weve been working together, one with me assuming more responsibility for the actual work as I learn the trade and him releasing that responsibility as he becomes more confident in my ability.
I was a third wheel today, and while it afforded me the chance to spend the day with the foreman ( a friend ) I was dead in the water, there wasn't a whole lot going on project wise, but I could see what was happening and understood the project, jumping in when I could and fighting off the urge to just ride the clock and do what I was told.I'd have to say it was a draw. It was mildly frustrating because I am used to working with my tool buddy who knows my abilities and limitations. I suppose I could have taken more initiative, but different journeymen work in different ways, so I laid back. When we called it a day at around 2:30 I was relieved to go home and looked forward to monday and a return to a set routine.
A set routine. That's funny to me....10 months ago I couldn't have told you the routine of an electrician beyond "you know, electrical type shit". Working with the other electricians today I realized I am developing my own style, and while I don't know shit compared to the journeymen I work with I know enough to make me dangerous. Something my mom used to say about my climb and eventual kick/jump off the social work ladder..." a little knowledge is a dangerous thing". Indeed, mom...indeed.
As I've mentioned before, we go to the same chevron station daily on breaks. It's right next to the Taco Shack so that makes it convenient. But what makes it special are the people who work there. Daily visits bring familiarity and a sort of connection with the staff. You get used to it, you might even look forward to seeing them for that back and forth small talk. You incorporate them into the daily routine. This particular chevron had a crew of twenty something tattooed alternative type girls working the counter. They were cool. I would walk in to the sounds of Clutch or Suicidal Tendencies or some such music you wouldn't normally hear in a local chevron. I had favorites. First off was a heavily tattooed heavy metal chick who originally worked the day shift. She is a really sweet kid and we had the tats in common...she even has an eyeball on her elbow like I do. Well, her lifestyle didn't match the day shift and she went to evenings. We don't get to see her much anymore. Her replacement on the dayshift was another tattooed/peirced alternative girl around the same age. We hit it off right away...I think I reminded her of her dad. About a month ago she quit over conflicts with the manager ( I'll just say '79 trans am and leave it at that ) and that's the end of Tina.
It sounds strange, but I was momentarily bummed that I didn't have a chance to say goodbye and wish her luck. She was replaced by a girl named glostick...that's what her nametag says anyway, and she's pretty cool. But just when we got used to her selling us scratch tickets and coffee in the morning, the original morning girl returned after having her baby. It was nice to see her and she remembered us with a smile. We welcomed her back. But now glostick ( or alternately "g - lo" haha) is on the evening shift.And I can't forget about the hippy chick that must be part time who has a bumper sticker on her taurus wagon that says "Tree hugging dirt worshipper" translated by my journeyman to "dirt eating tree hugger".
She likes turtles too.She also has that "I'm stoned even when I'm not" smile that just says I'm a kind gentle spirit working here on my way to a higher plane of actualization...dude.
It's funny to me that I incorporated this group into my life, that they have taken on a role in my daily here to there, and me (us) in thiers.
There really is a point here somewhere.Oh yeah...routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment