Monday, March 14, 2005

ON THE HOMEFRONT

As you've gathered from Ann's previous posts, it was a nice relaxing weekend. The weather was awesome as well. Too bad I spent almost 8 hours at work dealing with the wire pull from hell, but I'll appreciate the overtime come payday.
My son called me yesterday with an update...he had just finished helping his mom clean out her classroom. I don't know the details, but it sounds like she fell victim to the system. My ex is, or maybe, was a special ed teacher from the time we met. She had somewhere in the neighborhood of 18 years at her last school. A parent raised a stink and wham, it's over ( I know this is vague...like I said, I don't know the details and I don't want to make assumptions) she gets the rest of the year off with pay, apparently and can "come back next year in an administrative role" but clear out your stuff and give us your keys.
There is no love lost between us to be sure, but she has my empathy...she was a teacher for a long time and I know the sting of the fuck around. I wish her good things in the future.
His other news was that he and Brandy are getting married on April 9, at a drum circle, wiccan outdoors place they got hooked up with via Brandy's mom. Now while I'm cool with the getting married thing, and the baby coming and all that, I am concerned that there is no job between them and they are currently living with my ex and her husband. The ex has in essence lost her job. You do the math.
Ann and I are not in a position to help. I mean that in a strictly financial sort of way. There was a time, not so long ago, when we had the means to help in that way. I'm not sure if it's shame, anger or guilt (or a combination of the three) that's gnawing away at my brain stem, but something has it's teeth in me, right next to that thing called worry that is hungrily gnawing away at my (unfortunately) pessimistic imagination.
Have I gotten so old and jaded that I can't remember the excitement of a journey beginning on a wish and a promise? Have the years whittled me down so much that I am no longer bulletproof? Well, yes and no. I am no longer bulletproof, but I remember that wish and a promise thing. And I guess it's my job to worry for them as they jump into the gaping maw that is life and at the same time trust that they will be ok.
We won't see them on the street, if it comes right down to it. There are so many logistical problems involved.Our dogs,their cats, limited space, one bathroom. But if push comes to shove we'll find a way to make it work. They are family, after all. And we got their back.

No comments:

Post a Comment