Thursday, March 24, 2005

NOW IT'S GETTING RIDICULOUS

I don't want to keep flogging on this but, god damn it, it pisses me off. Some bishop or something at some arch diocese says that Terri Shiavo should have her feeding tube reinserted because the catholic church believes that when there is brain function there is life. Terri's brain stem shows function...remember "reptilian brain"? That's not even "left foot right foot brain"...so, according to the catholic church, she's alive. I want to know who had the technology to determine brain function when the catholics were drawing up the rule book all those years ago. Nobody, that's who. What's the churches motivation for weighing in? I'd say any press that doesn't involve priestly anal intrusion of parishioners kids is good press.
Some neurologist from the Mayo clinic says that Terri is " lightly conscious" as opposed to being in a "persistent vegetative state". This revelation was made after he reviewed her files, watched some video tape of her and examined her for 90 minutes. Hey, neurologist! "lightly conscious" is me on the couch after one too many screwdrivers. His motivation? To get published...again? To garner more prestige for the clinic ( is the mustard clinic catching up?). Or to get on fox news? I don't know, but he can go fuck himself for jumping into the game this late, unless he was recruited. And if he was, by whom? The parents? The press? Bushco ? The possibilities are endless, but my money is on somebody in Bushco.Why do I believe this? Two names...Armstrong Williams and Jeff Gannon.
Her parents are going back to a federal judge who already shined them on once. They have my complete empathy, but come on. Terri is 41 years old, she has been this way for FIFTEEN YEARS. The body begins to wear out around this age even if you were fully active...little things start to go. I hope for Terri's sake cooler heads prevail, because she is on the down hill side of this thing at this point and can look forward to the "quality of life" my father had.
Ann had some reservations about her starving to death...and wondered why they couldn't just give her a jumbo hit of morphine instead. And while I agreed with this, it can't happen because it would be assisted suicide and that's against the law, starving to death isn't, apparently.Ironic.
I am done opining about this, excuse me while I go beat my head against the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment