Friday, March 25, 2005

TRANSFORMER! LESS THAN MEETS THE EYE

One of the mysterious frontiers of electricity was exposed to me today, and I have to say I was a bit disappointed. Up until today, transformers (those humming demon boxes in mecahanical rooms that convert high voltage to low voltage) held a source of kinda-awe (tm) for me, they made noise, they generated heat, I was afraid to touch them for fear of electrical shock.
I wired a transformer this morning. When I opened it up I expected nothing less than the great and powerful OZ, and that's what I got (if you get my drift). Three high voltage wires in, three low voltage wires out. A neutral and two grounds later...done. I had to install the lugs, but the bar was marked clearly and there was a map on the inside of the cover.
Pretty basic concept here, if you wire it correctly. If you don't...BOOM! I'll be energizing this one monday or tuesday, I'll let you know what happens...or Ann will.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment