Thursday, March 03, 2005

Could have, maybe should have, didn't
I had the day off today. Normally this means I stay up a bit late the night before and drink some beers while surfing the 'net if the pirated wireless connection is available. If there's no wireless then I usually play the Sims and hit the bed some time after eleven and sleep in a bit in the morning. Last night I was so damn tired that I went to bed at 7:30 pm, an hour earlier than I would if I was working the next day. I figured I'd get a good night's sleep and then I'd be able to get all manner of things crossed off the to-do list today. I got up early, saw Rob off to work and decided to indulge in some extended coffee and breakfast time before starting on my project list. I was just getting ready to get in the shower at 8:00 am when my dad called. He wanted to come by and put the battery back in the dead Tempo. This is a car that doesn't run because it needs $1500 or more of repair work, but By God he couldn't let the battery go bad while I'm waiting on money to fix it so he came by the other day and took the battery home to charge it up. Anyway, he brought the battery back over and put it back in the car. Let me tell you it's a weird feeling to stand there and let your 83 year old dad take a heavy battery out of the back of his truck, put in it your car and hook it up. I wanted so bad to just grab it and do it myself so he didn't have to struggle with it, but this is a man who still mows his own lawn even though he has two children and several grandchildren that are more than willing to do it for him. And since I'm a chip off the same block, I knew that grabbing the battery from him would be a big mistake. After the battery was installed we had a nice long chat before he went back home and while it wasn't on my to-do list, I was glad for the unexpected opportunity to spend some time with my dad. Then into the shower I went, thinking I would tackle that project list when I got out, but at that point was time to cook up some lunch. After consuming a tasty grilled cheese and turkey sandwich, I spent the afternoon lounging on the couch watching movies. This is very odd behavior since I never watch movies. I'm blaming the turkey. So while there were countless things I could have done and plenty that I should have done, the only thing that got done was experiencing a rather nice, completely unplanned day off that was actually a day off.

No comments:

Post a Comment