Thursday, April 29, 2004

FROM THE GLASS LINED TANKS OF OLD LATROBE

I would like to thank the following people for facilitating what has to be the fastest Brown Boy experience EVER.
-The manager that threw away the warranty stainless steel pump basket that was (with shipping) around $150.00. And to cover his ass told the owner it had been sitting around for 3 weeks so he tossed it, when in reality it had been sitting around for 3 days tops.
-The other manager that called the owner and explained the above managers "confusion" about the passage of time so the owner wouldn't look at me in a bad light for leaving a warranty item laying around for "3 weeks".He got my back.
-The tech that threw out his back and cast the shadow of a workers comp claim over the king.
Thanks, all of you for taking the focus off me and allowing the owner to focus (hopefully) on the 5 and a half million other things I do well on a consistent basis.
I come from a world where it is essential to have your shit in one sock at all times and that's how I operate. The place I work now could never compare to the wholesale dysfunction of the hospitals and centers I worked in back in the day...it's much much worse...and we're out in the world roaming free...amazing.
Enough about work.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Special K's birthday is just around the corner! We are sending some stuff (cheap stuff) to brighten the occasion but I am pressed for time and getting to the post office just hasn't happened. The post is so efficient I fear the prezzies will be tardy.Oh well, maybe tomorrow.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ann's hair looks awesome! I loves me a redhead...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was sittin' at the bar at Maudies last night waiting for Ann and Ashley to finish with the hair thing and meet me for dinner when this guy came in and sat down next to me. (If you've seen the movie "Identity" you will so relate to the following, if not trust me, it was fucking strange)
This guy was the main protagonist from the movie... A huge Man with those crazy looking eyes. As he was sitting down I was getting up to go out front for a smoke and I guess he picked up on my "holy shit! It's the guy from Identity" expression when we looked at each other. He said...and I quote: "Sorry, if I'm freaking you out I can move down to another stool" I said ( in my most fake unfreaked voice) "No-no!You're fine where you are...I'm just going to smoke". I went outside, called Ann and said "Guess what?!The fucking killer from Identity is sitting next to me at the bar!!!Are you on your way"?
After my smoke, I went back inside and reclaimed my spot next to the psycho-killer. And the strangest thing happened... somehow or another we ended up having the most excellent conversation about movies and the war and past wars and our families and just, well stuff. It didn't take me long to get past the vibrating eyes thing so there was eye contact (it still made me dizzy). And I was reminded again of the book by it's cover analogy. The fact that he offered to move away from me kind of bummed me out, because it underlined the fact that he was "different' and he KNEW it.People (self included) can be so fucked up sometimes.
When Ann and Ash arrived, I parted company with him, with a hearty handshake and a nice to meet you, I enjoyed talking with you.And I meant it...he was a nice guy.
So I get up and turn around and there I am...face to face with a guy I worked with back in the day...probably 15 years ago. "Hank!How the hell are you"?!.
Small talk ensued and then it was off to dinner with my 2 favorite women in the world.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some words about the remodel, which I now call the pogrom.
By the time this bitch is done I will probably be in rehab.
I am developing an upper respiratory infection from the amount of insulation/sheetrock/spun glass dust in the air.My boogers can cut glass. Not to mention the chainsmoking and one-hitter action.
Maybe I really am too old for this shit.
So, while I drink my nectar from the glass lined tanks of old latrobe and ruminate on the days to come I bid you all good night.
It's an interesting world alright...innit?

No comments:

Post a Comment