Tuesday, April 20, 2004

MY KIND OF DENTIST

Some background first.
I had a rather severe car accident when I was 18. I lost 13 teeth... actually I only lost 7, the other 6 were lodged in my upper jaw.
I spent the next year and a half going to the dentist every 3 weeks to be fitted with permanent bridges. When this inquisition was over I vowed to never go to a dentist again. I lumped them all in the category of the dentist in the marathon man.
I was forced to go and have an impacted wisdom tooth removed in '85...I opted for complete (as in knock my ass out) sedation.
I have not seen one since.
Until today.
I may not look it, but I am basically a pussy when it comes to 2 things. Getting blood drawn and going to the dentist. The vampires at my doctors office find it very funny that I have an aversion to needles...hey damnit! Tattoos are different, it's like someone ice skating on your skin, not like someone taking your essence like in that muppet movie, what was it? Oh yeah, The dark crystal...."My ESSSENNNCCCEEE".
Anyhoo, back to the dentist.
My tooth was killing me today, so I sucked it up and called this guy who is the dentist for several people I work with. He came highly recommended.
The recommendations are right on the money.
This guy is a 30 something dude with long hair and a Hawaiian shirt all laid back with an emo looking assistant with that magenta hair thing goin' on and those Lisa Loeb fuck me glasses. They are also very professional. Perfect.
The sound system was tuned to KUT 90.5, which this morning was playing eclectic covers of eagles songs... very cool.
They did the x-ray, showed me the film and said they could solve my problem in about 5 minutes. Go for it I say.
2 shots in the mouth (I fucking hate those!) and 15 minutes later I'm on my way back to work sans the devil tooth.
To quote my new dentist "It's a hyper extruded wisdom tooth, you don't need it, so I can pull it if you want". No thanks, I'd rather walk around in horrible pain because I'm a pussy....not. Pull it I say and pull it he does.
There is nothing quite like the sound of a tooth being pulled from your head...it's like the muzak version of safety dance only more so.
My mouth is so much roomier now.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I have a question, on a unrelated note.
What movie makes you cry the most?
For me it has to be Forrest Gump...By the time Jenny dies I am a blubbering idiot. Everytime. Ask Ann, she'll tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment