Saturday, July 31, 2004

WE LOST ONE OF OURS

Mark Richard Davis...born in August 1972...killed himself yesterday just short of his birthday, to the surprise of us all.
D was a genious...a writer, a player a lazy soul drinking himself to death. that's how we all thought it would happen...but he hung himself...at his moms house...yesterday.
We knew D for over 10 years, we knew what he was... a drunkie good time party guy for ever. You had to love him.
But he was so much more than that...he was a writer, a songwriter, a guitarist...an amazing man on so many levels.
And he kiled himself yesterday...and left us all behind.
I got the call this morning.
I couldn't believe it.
I went to my friends house this afternoon and we mourned.
There has been a lot of death in this circle of friends over the last year but this one hit home.
I was in a band with this guy and many other musical excursions that went nowhere but into our memories as a jam...dude.
He knew my son from 9 years old to...he's almost 20 and joined us today when I called him at the insistance of our host.
I wanted to save him the loss, but my friend insisted.
It was the right thing to do.
There were tears and hugs and many beers and shots in honor of our fallen friend.
And then we went downtown and got tattooed to remember Mark...it was initially the "bars" from Black Flag...but it ended up being a stick figure Mark drew for his mom when he dropped out of school.
We loved him...this was a waste.
this is life.
I'll miss you Mark...we all loved you.
I have your stick figure on my chest to remember you by.
Godspeed...I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment