Wednesday, July 07, 2004

"SHE NEEDS A LITTLE MEXICAN IN HER"

The journeyman I've been working with this week was off today, so the initial plan was for me to help dig a trench with the guy who hooked me up with this job and his apprentice. This morning I was reassigned to help one of the regular employees instead.
No big deal...we leave the shop and go to the first work site and he begins explaining the job in electrician speak, he may as well have been speaking vietnamese. I politely interrupted him and explained that I was a first year intermediate journeyman (that's an apprentice sans algebra credit) and he looked at me in shock and said he thought I was a journeyman (this has happened more than once, I guess it's because I'm older, because I certainly can't exude that much confidence in less than two months on the job). he recovered and brought things down to a level I could understand.
So, we're driving to the next job and he's telling me how he has a knack for seeing things that have been done wrong when the people doing said thing don't notice.About this time, an attractive blonde woman is crossing the street in front of us and he says:" For instance, I know what's wrong with that blonde there". I say:"Oh yeah? What"? And he says,that's right:"She needs a little mexican in her".(He's latino) And then he says in the next breath:"I gotta take a class in sexual harassment".Wow...no shit. It was going to be a long day.
Fortunately, that class started today, at 10a, he dropped me off at the job site I was originally going to to help my friend and drove off to letch school. There was no trenching today, just more of the same stuff I've been doing.
Now don't get me wrong, I too, notice the 18 to 23 year old girls walking around on campus. They are, almost to a woman, very cute.
But almost as soon as that thought registers, my brain counters with "that could be your daughter". And I look at something else.And I feel old.


No comments:

Post a Comment