Friday, July 02, 2004

M.C.ROB

Note: We will probably flashback to the CSO stuff as I have begun searching for the other members of the team and soliciting them for memories. I'll be talking to Mary a bit later as a matter of fact...this rocks. :)

So, the first thing I realized when I took over at TTC was that the team needed an overhaul. These folks had been flying under the radar of the parent company for years and had been dealing with an older less intense patient population. The parent company was funneling young adults into this program as fast as they could to soak providers...wait...to provide a meaningful transition from inpatient care to transition into the world. In this case, I don't need to recapitulate...it was true.
Anyhow...I set about building my team, and when I was done, I had the most awesome group of people...ever.
I had miniscule turnover ( which is virtually unheard of in this field) when they finally shut the program down my shortest term employees had been with me for almost two years.
There is continuity in tenure...I knew this...I chose well...I was fucking lucky.
I also had the best clinical team on the planet. My peers and supervisors were some of the most talented clinicians around.
Together, we built a healing place, a healthy place, where these kids could get back in the business of living in a strict but enormously supportive environment.
I think the most significant difference for us, the staff, was we could be ourselves to a larger degree than allowed in the tighter confines of the center. This gave us more credibility, and more room to connect on a meaningful level.
I was the conductor and my team the players.
Some of the old guard stuck around for a while, but after the first year, it was down to two.
It was also a time of incredible growth for me clinically. My direct clinical supervisor was amazing, she taught me so much in my time there, about the patients and about myself.
It was a magical time, and we would do amazing work.
I just got off the phone with her and she will be sending a memory my way soon.
This is really turning into something people!
I am so stoked...:)

No comments:

Post a Comment