Monday, July 12, 2004

A day in the life...
Slept in, got up around 9:30. Made coffee, checked my email, did a bit of work related email stuff. Read a few blog entries, then was on my way to get another cup of coffee when I noticed that Rob's computer had croaked. Decided I had probably better do something about that and about that time Rob got up and I gave him the bad news. He went back to bed while I drug out our old W2K server. Dog of a machine, but it would let him get on the internet. Got it patched and updated, downloaded Firefox and Thunderbird and configured his email for him. Then I spent a fruitless search for my copy of Homesite so I could do some website updates for work. Couldn't find it so I downloaded the free trial of the latest version from Macromedia, but I decided I didn't want to spend time learning the "new features" of a product that was going to expire in thirty days so I installed a copy of FrontPage 2003 that I've had for a while, but never installed (got it in exchange for completing a lengthy phone interview with the M$ folks about a new product.) I'd just as soon do the changes in Notepad, but this was someone else's code and I kept having to scroll waaaay to the right to get to the text I needed to change. I guess they went a little crazy on the tabs or maybe they used Dreamweaver or FrontPage. Whatever they used, it wasn't Notepad friendly. Got the changes made and then I ... not sure what I did... at some point Rob made brunch. It was fantastic as always, I'm so lucky to have married someone who not only loves to cook, but cooks extremely well. Then it was back to the computer to do something, I don't remember what. Then I actually left the house and went to the gas station to get gas so I wouldn't run out on the way to work tomorrow. On my way home I stopped by Office Depot and picked up a headphones/mic headset because while the speakers on my laptop are good for a laptop, they still suck and I also wanted to try out the speech recognition software in Office XP. I mucked around with that for awhile and then decided to install the game Riven that I had come across in my search for Homesite in the hopes that XP would run it. It didn't at first, but thanks to a tip that I found on the web, I got it working. I messed around in the game for a while, but I wasn't really up for any serious puzzle solving (I've forgotten most everything.) I'm not sure at what point I decided to go check out the ring tones available for my phone, but it was after dinner (again cooked by Rob and awesome.) T-Mobile has some decent "HiFi" ringtones and a whole lot of awful MIDI sounding tones. Rob and I had some fun with the MIDI sounding tones did a "guess the song" where I'd play the awful MIDI sounding rendition of some song and he'd have to guess the band and title. He did really well except on the ones where it was so horribly mangled that probably only the author could recognize it. Spent some time doing a vain search for other "HiFi" ringtones, but all I found was the crappy sounding stuff. All in all, it was lazy day - not much accomplished. And I should have been in bed hours ago so I better head that way now... gotta be at work bright and early this morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment