Friday, July 02, 2004

ANOTHER WARM MEMORY CHIP

So far, we have heard from Cris, He's still in the headache business and the one soldier I've maintained regular contact with over the years. He is one of my closet friends, and I guess we don't have to say how it was because we know with a look.
Then there's Stephen, we worked and played together a lot during his time in CSO, he was a trustworthy shift mate, and, just like Cris and I there was never any question about that whole "having your back" thing.
And then there's Gaye...I got to know her while I was the house daddy on twin oaks and she was the house mom on post oaks (units were duplexed together) right next door. She was (and is, I suspect) a cowgirl...grew up doin' the cowgirl thing. She was ball lightning in wranglers and had no compunction about gettin' in the shit. We ended up in CSO together and I was lucky enough to work with her a lot. For a couple shifts a week for a long time it was Gaye, Mary ( the recipient of my keys :) ) and me. I was in good company. These are two of the bravest, smartest women I have ever known and I trusted them completely. I learned from them as well, and I'd like to think they learned from me. As an aside, I always had kind of a crush on Gaye, we flitted around the brink for a very brief time but we were both otherwise attached and we did the right thing, nothing ever really happened. And I'm glad.
It would have fucked up an otherwise good friendship between us. I have seen her sporadically over the years and she stays in touch with Cris so I know through him that she is doing OK. There are a few people from those days I miss seeing, and she is at the top of the list.
So...without further blathering ...here is a memory of Gaye and me- In action.

----- Original Message -----
From: Gaye
To: Rob
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2004 7:10 AM
Subject: RE: memoirs

I'm thinking of the time that you and I were on shift. It was supper time, so, of course, we had Jeopardy on the TV. the kid, heretofore known as "Don Law", was in a time out room. This boy was on 400 mg. of Thorazine daily, which is enough to knock 3 grown folks out for a day, but he didn't even drag his feet! Anyhoo, we were sitting there eating when all of a sudden we hear this maniacal screaming just as he comes running wide open down the hall straight for us. We both jumped up at the same time, I yelled, "You go high, I go low!" and we tackled this boy right in front of Alex Tribeck! Due to us being TOTALLY taken by surprise, you had him in a pretty intense headlock, I had both my arms and legs wrapped around his hips and legs (ass IN MY FACE) and we had no way to call for ANY backup. He continued rolling and hollering for a good 15 minutes, until he finally got quiet, laid there still for about 5 minutes before calmly asking, "What's for supper?" We got him up off the floor, walked him back to his room, and when we got back up to the office, we both started laughing insanely and shaking like a vibrating bed in a cheap motel ! The adrenalin we used up in those days would light the UT tower for a decade!

Thanks Gaye, I remember this kid...ewwwww...KA-RAZY.

No comments:

Post a Comment