Monday, July 12, 2004

Just a few hours...
I went into work at eight this morning for what I thought was going to be just a couple of hours. I wasn't a very happy camper when I walked in the door and discovered my desk was a complete mess from the weekend. Now this is a normal occurrence, but quite frankly it's getting old. I'm a Virgo and if there's going to be a mess on my desk then it needs to be an organized mess. I always have piles of stuff on my desk at work and at home, but it's organized piles. I can tell you exactly what is in those piles and put my finger on the letter I got three months ago that is 3/4 of the way down in the third stack on the right. Shoot, even the trash is organized as evidenced by the fact that all the beer bottle caps are in one particular spot on my desk at home. But there was no rhyme or reason to this mess and I didn't even know what half of it was. One item of concern was an envelope of cash, checks and credit card receipts from the other location. No transaction log to indicate what customer the money came from or which service they were paying for. Most of it I was able to figure out through a bit of detective work, but the cash? It's a good thing we are all honest folk around there because that could end up in someone's pocket with no one the wiser. I sent an email to our accountant who called me and promised to address this issue once again, a bit more forcefully this time, at the next team meeting. I don't know if it will make much difference since it seems that good dog trainers just don't have a knack for office work at even the simplest level. Between those two things and a few other surprise twists to the day involving boarding dogs, I didn't get to check the messages on voice mail until the afternoon (never mind that I was expecting to be out of there by 10:30 am or so.) Forty-two messages, most of them long and detailed and I think my writing blister doubled in size by the time I copied them all down into our message log book. This took me a few hours because I was interrupted several times by walk-in customers who ignore the closed sign and know to check in the back and see if someone is in the office - I swear I'm going to buy blinds for those windows out of my own pocket if I have to! And in the blink of an eye, it was 5:00 pm and I had to get out of there in order to get the deposit to the bank before they closed. I didn't return a single phone call today from messages (though I did answer plenty of new incomming calls.) I can't work tomorrow or I'll have way too many hours for the week which means this Wednesday is really going to suck. I mean, Wednesdays always suck, but this one should reach new levels of suckiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment