Wednesday, July 21, 2004

A dash of teenage rebellion
Or was it "a bit of teenage rebellion"? I'm trying to quote a line from a movie, Dark City, but I'm lousy with movies and quotes. That's definitely Rob's forte, but he's fast asleep, getting ready for his day at work tomorrow so I can't ask him for the correct line.

I, on the otherhand, am most definitely NOT getting ready for my day at work tomorrow. Nope, I'm staying up late drinking beer. I'm only supposed to work 20 hours this week and I've already worked that. My boss is on a well-deserved vacation at the coast and doesn't need me until next Wednesday. There are no boarding drop offs or pick ups tomorrow, no daycare at the north location and while I can come up with plenty of reasons to work tomorrow (I've got a to-do list a mile long, not to mention the never ending phone calls), it pales in comparison to the idea of just fucking off right now. Some of this is backlash from my internal temper tantrum today, but there's this taste of teenager "fuck-you" in the back of my mouth that's quite tantalizing. I want to play old Judas Priest or scream along with Rage Against the Machine on the stereo. Even though RATM is newer stuff, it's captures the same feel and we have a plethora of CDs from other bands that are in the same vein. It always amazes me that I can be in my mid-forties and still feel that same spark and drive that I felt as a teenager. And as a teenager I was ever bit as work-driven and dedicated as I am now, but there were always those times, like today, when I noticed I had a moment to slack off and I was so much more likely to grab those moments back then. I guess I'll be grabbing this moment now and running with it. After this much beer, at this late hour, there's no way in hell I'll be getting up at 5:30 this morning :) Because if I don't absolutely HAVE to be at work at 7:30 in the morning, then it ain't gonna happen.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:45 AM

    "Let's see, a touch of unhappy childhood, a dash of teenage rebellion, and last but not least, a tragic death in the family."

    It's one of my favorite movies. I watch it like once a week :)

    -Owl.sayswho-

    ReplyDelete