Thursday, July 22, 2004

THE HUNT IS ON

The Austin police department is on the hunt for speeders,ragers and drunkards...I do not speed, I'm generally good natured, but I am staying home more this week...:)
They are brazenly announcing where they are set up for this operation and Maudie's has not been mentioned so it's all good there, but otherwise, I'm doing my drinking at home.
(this is a multi-post,so bear with me)
I talked to my son the other night for the first time in a couple of weeks...he's 19 and has his own life, but when a certain amount of time passes I begin to worry that something has gone wrong, but my memory won't let me forget how I was at 19 with my own mom and dad, and I dismiss the worry and call him for an update.
So far,so good...until today.
He called me at 4p...I was in the shop and the physical plant at UT apparently has a cloaking device that kills T-mobile...I call him back and he asks me when the CLUTCH show is. (We have seen this band together a few times now and will see them again on August 6th. So I say "august 6th" and he says " what are you doing august 5th"?
I say " I don't know, what's up on the 5th" ?
He says his girlfriend wants to take me out to dinner ...to get to know me better cause things are going well between them and it would appear that I will be knowing this girl "for the rest of my life".
What??? Is this some sideways way of saying they are planning to get married?
I got married at their age...I was in love and sure of myself and it ended in disaster after 3 years.
I married his mom at 25 and it ended in disaster.
Circumstances dictate outcome and I am unable to lay odds...I know of very few early unions that have prevailed the changes of the passage of time and the changes of personality from 19 to 25 to 44...I know it's possible, but it has not been my experience.
I don't know her...at all really, but my gut tells me she is a good kid and she loves my son, and he loves her...and by my experience "love" puts a couple about 25% of the way there to a successful union.
I ask myself:"Do they really understand commitment"?and all of the things that word means???
I thought I did at 18 and revised my shit at 25 and finally got it at 34.
That's a lot of living to learn how to be with someone for life. LIFE.
Is it possible for a 19 year old to understand what took me 34 years to snap to?
I guess I'll find out on aug. 5th.
Just don't call me grandpa :)
Not yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment