Friday, July 23, 2004

I MUST REMEMBER...RED-BLACK- BLUE

Wires...they should go in this order, unless you are at UT, then anything goes. We as contractors are warned on the first day, be careful...check everything.
The first job I had there was run by journeymen there on a short call from the union hall...2 guys for a maximum of 11 days each. I knew nothing...I mean NOTHING about electricity and basically handed them tools and went to get material . The epitome of a "gopher".
I've been around for a while now and know some shit about low voltage as opposed to high and the color and gauge of the wires involved...the colors mean something in regard to differentiating between whats 120 volts (hurts) and 277 volts (hurts like a motherfucker). Since the UT system is a self governing entity , these code restrictions do not apply and you are in peril with every junction box or panel you open there...We won't even get into the high voltage part of the equation here.
These short call guys wired up what they thought was 120 volt connections...turns out it was 277 volt connected to some controllers that were specifically 120 volt...bad news.
As I have learned about the trade, I have realized that neither of the first journeymen I worked with didn't bother to check the voltage of the circuits they were running...they saw a low voltage wire(blue) and assumed it was correct and went with it.
Wrong.
We are essentially re-running everything and keeping our fingers crossed that the 120 volt (and expensive) controllers were not cooked by the 277 volt and will operate as intended.
We have done more here in three days than I did with 2 short call journeymen in 4 weeks.
I am amazed at the carelessness of the previous journeymen...I am impressed with the savvy and intuitiveness of the guy I'm working with now...he is a trouble shooting son of a gun and I have learned more from him by correcting the rat shit of those other guys.
I learned that the short call is not always a good thing and I'm lucky I didn't get fried.
277 volts...gawd damn...ouch.

No comments:

Post a Comment