Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Feeling guilty
No, not about my impending trip into Passive-Aggressive land at work. Instead, I'm feeling guilty about this free ride on the internet we're getting here at home. I haven't sought out the new neighbor yet. I got home late last night after a grueling two hours at the Laundromat which was replete with feral children and loud disagreements in a foreign language. This was followed by a trip to the grocery store from hell (also full of feral children and loud disagreements in a foreign language) and the last thing I wanted to do was start knocking on neighbor's doors to find out who is providing this internet bounty. Tonight I got home early enough, but had drank a few more beers than I feel comfortable drinking before I talk to strangers. The signal is weak which means it's probably not any of the neighbors next door and I don't know the folks several houses down in any direction. Perversely this makes me feel better. It is apparently easier to steal from folks you don't know. Everyone is telling me this isn't "stealing" since it's an open network which implies permission, but why does it feel like stealing? I don't like it, but I seem to be using it anyway which I find intriguing. Seems I've turned myself into my own social study here.

No comments:

Post a Comment