Tuesday, June 01, 2004

The joy of math
I see billy has a new title on his blog "will teach 4 beer". I told Rob maybe he should take him up on the offer since Rob now has to learn Algebra. It wasn't a required course when Rob and I went to high school, but I liked math enough to take it anyway even if I had to go on a waiting list for the classes. By the time I got through Algebra I was too far down on the wait list to get into Calculus or Trig before I graduated, but I did manage to get in the very first ever offered computer class where I learned how to program in BASIC. That was so easy for me that I finished the class outline way before schedule and went far beyond what my teacher could do so I ended up spending the rest of my class time playing ADVENT and HACK on the UT mainframe. You'd think I would have become a computer programmer given such beginnings, but things didn't work out that way even though I've done my share of programming over the years - it just never was part of my title (or pay grade for that matter.) Now here's the weird part. I actually have an Algebra tutorial in my software collection that I bought for fun. It was cheap and I bought it for fun - yep, I'm a strange bird at times. Anyway, it's an ancient program and might not run on W2K, but I figured I'll dig it out and some point and let Rob give it a try. Hell, maybe I'll give it a try just to see how much I've forgotten in almost 20 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment