Thursday, June 24, 2004

IF I COULD RECALL ANY MEANINGFUL LYRICS BY X I WOULD HAVE USED THEM HERE.

As I move through my timeline I'm finding that I remember clearly traumatic or disturbing or otherwise significant moments after about 1983...as I approach the present it becomes fuzzy... though I can look ahead and recall the past from '92 to now with a clarity that would cook an ant under bunnypant's childhood magnifying glass lens faster than you can say "bring 'em on"!
What this means really, is you get highlights...the (apparently) selective memories of almost a decade dedicated to learning the trade and methamphetimine.
But I'm getting ahead of myself, again.
What I really want to write about here is the chalkboard.
There was a chalkboard mounted at about eye level on the door that led from the staff office to the electrical room.
It was meant for pertinent messages from shift to shift, like:"XXX had dessert @ lunch today even though I told him no...NO dessert @ dinner or he a get's a 24...Got it? ( 24= 24 hour room restriction).
After the unit coordinator and I had gotten to know each other this chalkboard became kind of a cryptic punk rock lyrics sounding board where we would leave each other messages in lyrics that described our shift, or more often than not, our general mood.
Sometimes, I would post crazy lyrics by fringe bands like the Subhumans and Flux of Pink Indians and Crass, just to stir things up.Black Flag became a favorite.
The Unit Coordinator wasn't much beyond Gang of Four in terms of hardcore, and I liked to fuck with him.
It became a kind of psychic jeopardy...we would meet away from work and discuss these chalkboard cryptograms and lot's of other things. We became fast friends, and he is my friend today.We took in the punk scene in Austin like water...it was our escape. I would get my first tattoo during this time, then another, and another. And then there was speed, the up your nose variety...you know...bandito bathtub biker speed. the kind of speed that burns a hole in your head...Like I said, I had promised myself earlier that there were things I would never let happen again. I had not met the devil yet, and when I met the devil called crank, I was in fucking love. I was back on the forbidden path, but somehow, Mr. Devil crank showed me the way of the massive rationalization plan and I was on it...big time.
There was this moment in time where I was so strung out that it would ruin my marriage, and almost cost me my job.
This post doesn't really do the Unit Coordinator justice...multiply me by 8 or 9 in terms of meltdown, add in Mr.Tractor pull he had to deal with A LOT of craziness, and did.
Well, I might add.
Next: Rob finally learns his lesson(s)( kind of ) and get's his life back...in a trial of fire.

"I'm too much with myself...I want to be someone else"
Lemonheads, "buddy" from It's a shame about Ray -1992
If I had still been on the chalkboard frequency in '92.
"We have to laugh, to look at each other"...ditto.

No comments:

Post a Comment