Thursday, June 10, 2004

GOIN' UP THE COUNTRY

By the time my "wife" graduated from the UT school of business, I was a Therapist Technician II at the evaluation rehabilitation center and supervising a floor crew that did floors at various state owned buildings. Training my crew was fun, they were good too. Put a shine on your tile so bright you could groom yourself in the reflection.
But it was time to move to Colorado...the birthplace of my "wife" and a chance for me to go somewhere else. That old bug about moving every year or so was no longer dormant.
I was stoked and still had no idea what kind of fucking over awaited me once I got there.
We were staying with my parents at this very house for the three months prior to our travel date to save up money and six weeks before we left my Dad turfed out.
I came home from a day of beer and fellowship at the lake with a childhood friend, and my dad had been mowing the lawn. Only, when I got home he was on the couch in the den and he was very,VERY pale. My mom pulled me into the hallway and informed me she thought he was having a heart attack, and since she didn't drive, would I be so kind to take him to the emergency medical right down the road.
I, of course obliged and off we went.
I tried to reassure my dad that it would be OK on the way there...after all, he was my CPR instructor. I said stuff like, "You know I know what to do. I won't let you die, OK"?
and "you taught me well, I know what to do, don't worry".
He just looked at me and smiled. He SMILED...He was having a heart attack and he was smiling! He just said "yeah, I know, it's gonna be OK, I'm gonna be OK".
And he was, after a quadruple bypass.
I was scared shitless...this is my DAD...my rock...I'd better save his ass if he needs it. Since I didn't know the first thing about heart surgery, I let the doctors do that.
I was ready to shitcan the move to Colorado, but my mom would have none of that. We needed to get on with it...go ahead with our plans.
My dad recovered and we set out with a 14ft. U-Haul to Colorado.
I was apprehensive and excited about the move. A feeling which has never completely left me.
Next up: The Springs.

No comments:

Post a Comment