Thursday, June 10, 2004

COLORADO ROCKY MOUNTAIN HIGH

And I was. My "mother in law" had set up an apartment for us in advance. Interestingly enough it was about a mile and a half from her house. But the view...second floor facing Pike's Peak and the rest of the front range... I loved it. I was in awe of the mountains.
I was also stoned out of my mind for the first couple of weeks.
We had my retirement fund and my severance package from the state to get us started and I had brought a 1/4 pound of hashish with me. I loved the ritual of smoking hash...heat up the brick with your lighter, shave off little shavings into a pipe and smoke.
This was before the days of readily available kind bud that could kick your ass and even before one hitters. Plus- I loved smoking hash...I wish you could still get it at '78 prices...wait a minute-mebbe not.
For the first couple of weeks my days went like this:
Wake up whenever (but by 9a)
Make pancakes and bacon and coffee
eat breakfast
smoke copious amounts of hash and stare in awe at the front range, not believing I was really here
Watch the "Big Money Movie" and Gilligan's Island and the Beverly Hillbillies
Drive out to the "Garden of the Gods" and smoke more hash
Climb around

This looks remarkably like the brick of hash I brought with me...KISMET!!
There's this rock at the entrance that is not unlike a lid to a grand piano when open. One time, I climbed out on the very edge and smoked a chunk of hash. I was so high , my fear of heights kicked in and I sat out there until it got so cold and dark my sense of survival got the better of my hash addled brain and I climbed down and went home.
Then,it was time to look for a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment