Friday, June 18, 2004

BACK IN THE SAFE EMBRACE

Buddy and I made it to Colorado springs. We would be staying with friends I knew from the hospital days until I found a job and got a place. Let me tell you a bit about these folks.
They were (and are) my friends. I have had friends before them and after that I would and do consider close, but these two are special. He helped me when the "wife" and I split and I didn't even really ask (he had a truck, well, it was an El Camino or a ranchero, I forget which...but it was sporty dammit!) for help that I remember. If I did it was one of those "hey man could you....." "Yeah, no problem" sort of exchanges you have with friends. We hung out a lot, a group of 5 and sometimes 6 or more. She would listen to me rattle on about "deep" stuff and share some "deep stuff" of her own with me.
Jeez! I'm doing them no justice here...words escape me. These two have been friends for going on 25 years no matter what and I love them and their family dearly.
They let me stay with them despite the fact that they got married that same January and were planning for that and the fact that her family was coming from out of state and was gonna stay with them as well.
Buddy and I were an imposition, but still, they helped me out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS

There was a morning ritual. It was lined up on the counter every morning when I woke up.
There was the coffee, the cups, the cream and sugar, the spoon and the mirror lined out with the coke. My friend would be sitting at the breakfast table in his robe with the local daily paper and he would greet me with the familiar sarcastic greeting. I would fix my coffee and do my lines, hang out for awhile and then go look for a job.
This went on for three weeks.
I had no luck finding a job. Despite the party atmosphere I really applied myself. I wanted to stay there, amongst my new friends and make a life for myself in the Springs.
It was not to be. During the time I was there, Buddy presented a series of adventures. All involving my friends dog "Duke,the wonder dog". Duke was a Black Lab mix and old and set in his ways. He did not appreciate his home being invaded by the teenaged Buddy. Both were male and intact (they had their balls).
One night we all went out and left Buddy in the bathroom to prevent a fight. When we got home, the bathroom looked as if a squad of laxative addicted bulemics had gathered in the bathroom and had a shit spraying party. It was disgusting, it ruined the carpet, I had to clean it up. ugh...
Another time, Duke walked through the living room and casually grabbed Buddy on his forehead just below his eyes and proceeded to kick his ass in front of god and the three of us. Duke was not cool with Buddy, this was apparent.This altercation led to a trip to the vet and a further depletion of my funds already depleted by my purchashing of coke. I had my priorities, but they were hump-backed and crooked. I was crapping out on the job search as well. The last place I applied was a residential treatment center in the mountains outside of Manitou Springs, the interview went well, but they didn't call.
Then the inevitable came. About a week before the wedding, at our morning ritual, my friend asked me what was I gonna do? I needed to be out in a week and I had no job and no prospects.
As much as I wanted to stay, I was out of options. I packed up the truck and headed home.
My return to the mountains I loved so much had lasted all of three weeks.
The trip home would be a harbinger of things to come...Had I been paying attention that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment