Friday, June 11, 2004

THE CRAGS

It's this place outside of Manitou Springs that has some spiritual significance to the native americans that lived in colorado before we ran them off and gave them the gift that is small pox.
True to it's name, it's craggy. In the winter you can cross country ski there. It was (and I guess still is) part of the parks system, complete with the touristy state park shit at the top that detracts from the spiritual part of it.
On the way up your thinking to yourself "Oh yeah, I can see those Indian braves and squaws crouching on these really creepy looking outcroppings communing with their spirit animal totems" and when you get to the top you can buy a T-shirt with a brave or a squaw crouching on a creepy outcropping communing with your choice of totem. Kind of a let down for me really.
Anyway, I went there to ski with my "wife", "mother in law" and sister in law...she doesn't get quotes because she wasn't pretending to be my sister in law. It was fun, but there was a tension in the air all day. There was some bickering between me and the "wife" and some "you're so not included" one on one conferring with her and her mom.
Shortly after we got home things came to a head. We acknowledged our mutual unhappiness and it was decided I would leave, as soon as possible.
I called my parents and talked to my mom. Two things she said stick in my mind.
" How's your sex life"? and "I told you this would happen".
Bitch.But that's my mom, and she was right.Damn it.
She asked me when I was coming home. I said I wasn't, I have this job and these friends and she interrupted me and said basically "OK, when your done fucking around with your life and come to your senses give us a call and we'll help you come home".
Thanks...I miss you too, mom. Jeez...
As luck would have it a girlfriend of a guy I had worked with was moving in with him and her cabin in Manitou was available. It was a small shotgun style cabin. In the front door was the livingroom, go through an arch-tiny kitchen, go through another arch, bedroom,bathroom with shower stall only,back door.Canyon.It was cool.
All this for $130.00 a month, all bills paid.
My new friends helped me move in and we filed for divorce.
I was on my own for the first time in my life at 21. I was terrified and excited all at once.
I got a puppy to keep me company, I named him Buddy, 1/2 dane - 1/2 husky. My best friend for almost 14 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment