Friday, January 09, 2009

Schrödinger's cat at 5:00 AM
I woke up this morning and found myself precariously balanced on the edge of the bed with the two dogs pressed against me as they occupied the space where I normally sleep. It was a little chilly in the room and what better way for a dog to stay warm than to sandwich itself between two heat producing humans? Judging from the pain in my back, I had been sleeping that way for quite some time and going back to sleep wasn't an option.

My thoughts drifted to the blood draw I had yesterday and how someone was going to be doing whatever it is that they do with blood to come up with those numbers and statistics that are supposed to tell a doctor what is going on with my body. And since the act of observation changes the property of what is being observed, I wondered how many times the property of that blood was going to change before the results ended up in my doctor's hands. Did it changed the while the phlebotomist watched it flow into the tube? Did it change when someone looked at it to put it in a machine? How about a machine's observation? Does that have any effect at all or is this just something that humans do? For that matter, is it just humans or does the observation of any conscious being affect the property of an item? And what defines a conscious being? Is there any reason to think a rock is less sentient than a human?

And then I thought, why am I thinking about this at at 5:00 AM in the morning? Which led to a much more important question. Why hadn't I been thinking like this at 5:00 AM in the morning? This sort of thinking is as natural as breathing to me, or rather, it used to be that was the norm instead of the exception. But I can't remember the last time that I had that sort of imaginative flight of fancy which is so much fun to do. I suspect it was a long, long time ago.

I was hoping this sudden burst of creative thinking meant that the "brain fog" was gone. Alas, upon arising and taking Rob to work, I discovered that problem is most definitely still there. There's nothing quite like doing half a dozen stupid things before breakfast.

Ah well, time to go find my car keys since I just noticed that it's my purse hanging on the key hook instead of the keys. You see, the dogs need to go out and I need those keys to unlock the back door, however, they are currently nowhere to be found. Gotta be here somewhere...

P.S. Although I pointed to stress as the most likely culprit for my current absent-mindedness, my doctor disagrees and thinks something else is the cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment