Friday, May 02, 2008

The spider bite... maybe
About a week ago I got what I thought was a brown recluse spider bite. I was pretty sure it was a spider bite since it looked and itched and acted just like all the other spider bites I've had. And growing up in these parts and being a kid who spent a lot of time in the outdoors and camping, I've had a few. This particular one continued to act just like a normal spider bite even yesterday morning when I noticed one of the dogs had scratched my leg right over the red spot at some point, probably during the night. But by last night it was either 1) not really a spider bite or 2) a spider bite now infected by some nasty reside off a dog claw. So off to the doctor I went today for an opinion about the red, itchy and now painful sore on my leg. And she said... "I don't know what this is and I have to culture it. I won't get those results for five days, but you need to get on antibiotics right away in case this is a staph or strep infection." Of course, it still could be just a run of the mill spider bite that happens to be worse than usual. Here's a picture so you can make your own diagnosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment