Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Ringworm? Nummular Eczema? MRSA? Plain old spider bite?

The good news is the spot on my leg is finally getting better. It's not getting any bigger and there was no pus or blood on the bandage this morning. At this point it looks more like ringworm and not so much like MRSA, but I won't know anything for certain until the lab results come back later this week.




(Yes, my legs are hairy, but no razor is getting anywhere near that thing.)






The bad news is the oral antibiotic has some rather unpleasant side effects and I hope after this round is over that I never get prescribed Sulfameth/Trimethoprim (aka Bactrim) ever again. Also, if this is not MRSA then I didn't need to take this nasty stuff that has given me gastrointestinal distress, complete loss of appetite, joint pain, a feeling of having a lump in my throat, headache, muscle twitches and cramps, low back pain and vertigo. I didn't have the vertigo until last night and it was mild. This morning, not so mild which meant that I wasn't able to go to work. It's irritating to think that I feel miserable for something that only *might* be MRSA. Seems to me like they ought to hold off prescribing oral antibiotics that have horrible side effects until *after* they get the culture results. Then again, considering it takes 5 to 7 days to get the results I suppose it's better safe than sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment