Tuesday, May 27, 2008

No apparent blockage
At least none of the coronary kind. I had my treadmill stress test today and it revealed that although I am definitely a couch potato in terms of overall fitness, my heart is just fine and dandy. My prescription is to do light exercise two times a week and eat more fiber. In order to pull this off though, I am going to have to spend more money at the grocery store. For example, I love carrots, but only when they are fresh so I generally don't buy carrots unless I just happen to hit the store after a fresh batch has come in. However, even when the regular bin of carrots are long past their prime, HEB usually has a small selection of fresh organic carrots. I never buy them because they are so expensive. But today I realized that I was spared the $100/month or more cost of prescriptions or something worse like an angioplasty and the smart thing to do was to start investing money in better food so I don't have to spend it on doctors and drugs. So the next time I buy that expensive loaf of good fresh-baked whole grain bread instead of the tasteless 79 cent loaf of white bread, I can just tell myself "doctor's orders" and stop feeling guilty for splurging on foods that I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment