Tuesday, May 20, 2008

It was so hot today

How hot was it? Hot enough for me to stop at Wal-Mart on the way home just to cool off between work and home. My car has no air-conditioning, the driver's side window doesn't roll down and it sat in the direct sun from 8 am to 3 pm so it was pretty toasty inside. I left the other windows down several inches since there was no rain in the forecast and nothing in the car that anyone would want to steal, but that didn't seem to help much. Anyway, I normally won't set foot in Wal-Mart unless there's something specific I need that I can't get it anywhere else for less than twice the price. But today stop wasn't really a shopping trip, just a chance to cool down a bit. I checked prices on things like birdseed (not cheaper) and bird feeders (not cheaper) and BBQ grills (not cheaper) and plus size clothing (nothing I wanted to wear, but definitely cheaper) and I was going to even grab a few things for dinner but once again they were not cheaper. I did leave with one item, one of those folding lounge chairs that we call the "Deathchair 2000". I've been looking for one of these for for a couple of years now, never finding one for the $9.99 I was willing to spend. It was $10.43, but I was willing to pay a bit more due to today's higher fuel prices. They also had the model we call the "Deathchair 5000" which is a little better and $5 more. I was seriously considering that one (has a cloth seat instead of vinyl) but they were boxed up and sitting high up on a shelf and they wouldn't get them down and sell me one. Oh well, the cheaper model happens to be a bright green (my favorite color), so I guess it was meant to be. Once the temp drops a bit this evening, I plan to try it out on the front porch. I'll get Rob to take a picture later so you know what I'm talking about; for now it's just too hot to bother getting it out of the trunk.

P.S. It's gotten hotter since I took that picture. The themometer at 4:30 pm reads just a tad over 100 degrees!

No comments:

Post a Comment