Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Awesome squash
Tonight I made one of the best yellow squash dishes I've ever tasted thanks to a mystery pepper that I picked up at HEB. It wasn't a Bell Pepper or an Anaheim, not a Poblano, Habanero, Jalepeno, Serrano, Hungarian Yellow, or a Banana pepper. The bin of peppers wasn't labeled and I had no idea what it was, but I was strangely motivated to try it. Turned out the cashier didn't know what it was either and charged me the price of an Anaheim. Naturally he picked the most expensive pepper, but at a grand total price of 15 cents I wasn't going to argue. Fortunately we have the internet these days and after some searching, I have decided it was a Cubanelle pepper. I hope they have these the next time I go there because I can think of a few other dishes that I'd like to try with this.

Now until tonight, the best yellow squash recipe I'd ever had was cooked up by my friend LT. I it was made with cheese and what I think were Anaheim peppers acquired from a specific place in another state (not sure on the pepper variety.) It was a campground standard from him back in our camping days and extremely tasty. It was in the spirit of that dish that I concocted what I cooked tonight.

To make it, I took some heavy duty foil and made a tray of sorts to hold the goodies. I chopped up 1/2 of a sweet onion and scattered it in the tray. I cut open the Cubanelle pepper and discarded the seeds and that part in the middle (what the hell do they call that? I forget...), then sliced the pepper into thin strips and scattered that in the tray as well. I sliced up 1/2 stick of butter and distributed that on top of the onion and pepper slices. I then sliced up some yellow squash to make a layer over the butter and sprinkled with coarse ground black pepper, salt and paprika. I repeated this with another layer of squash and seasonings (I used about three medium sized squash total.) I took a giant piece of foil and wrapped it all up to make a closed package making sure the butter wasn't going to leak out the bottom. I cook this sort of thing aside the coals while I'm waiting for them to burn down to the right level to cook the meat so I put it on the grill as soon as the starting flames calmed down enough and cooked it about an hour total. I'm not normally a big fan of squash, but I loved it and I'll be making this one again... provided I can find those peppers next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment