Saturday, January 01, 2005

A New Year
I know it's been a long time since I posted. I started a few posts here and there, but it was nothing worth putting up on the blog and Rob was already painting a fairly good picture of what's been going on around here. Now that the year is over, I'm hoping to put this work/eat/sleep only mode behind me and add some zest back into my life. The problem is, I'm not sure to do for "zest". My 8:00 PM bedtime puts a real damper on evening activities such as concerts or eating out with friends. But the biggest adjustment is that weekends don't really exist for me any more. I no longer get two days off in a row and it's hit of miss if that single day off will fall on a Saturday or Sunday. It's an adjustment I've yet to make and I seem to either spend my day off doing personal tasks (housework, bill paying, laundry, etc.) or just laying around the house recuperating from days filled with one phone call after the other at work. I tried buying a new computer game to spark some interest, but I found that after being tied to a computer all day at work, I really didn't want to sit down at one for hours again in the evening. Same goes for reading since sitting down and reading a book is too much like sitting at a computer. So I've decided to take up gardening again though my attempts in the past have been less than successful. After all, it's a physical activity, it's outdoors and it's about as different from sitting at a computer as one can get. I have visions of a vegetable garden in the front yard (the only place with sun) though my brother who lives down the street has assured me that the large number of raccoons that roam our neighborhood will eat all the vegetables. I'm going to try it anyway since it's more about having something interesting to do than putting fresh veggies on the table. I also plan to plant plenty of flowers since I love having cut flowers in the house, but can never afford them. I've talked about doing gardening before and even made some half-ass attempts at it, but I've never been really committed a large amount of time to it before or had much luck getting things to grow (though I did quite well with morning glory and flowering tobacco one year.) No telling if I'll stick with it this year, but I'm putting it down as one of my New Year's Resolutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment