Saturday, January 08, 2005

Just my luck
Why does every job I get seem to morph into 10 and 12 hour days, 7 days a week? To think I was whining about working 6 eight hour days in a row just last week. Hahaha. This run will be at least ten days in a row, 9 to 12 hour days with no breaks or lunch. We do get to run to the bathroom once and a while and they also feed us on the company dime, but we've only got 15 minutes max to scarf down the food before we have to get back on the phones. One thing that's impressive about this company is that every single manager is also busting his or her butt, even the VPs, so they're not just dumping the unexpected work load on the low guys on the totem pole. And those low guys on the totem pole, my coworkers, can't believe that I'm not excited about the overtime pay. I'm sorry, but my overtime pay is only $12/hour. That's not even exciting as a regular pay rate. So why the hell am I working the overtime? It's because I have this annoying work ethic and if the demand or need is there, then I will rise to it without giving it a second thought. Twenty years ago, I might have been a valued employee. These days, I'm just a schmuck. There's the off chance that this company might be different, given the fact the everyone is pitching in right now, but more than likely I'm still just a schmuck and the only payback that I'm ever going to see from this is the overtime pay. I just need to keep that in mind so I don't feel burned down the road when I get that pink slip.

No comments:

Post a Comment