Wednesday, January 12, 2005

I TWEAKED MY BACK

Stepping off the loading dock at work with some wiremold. It was a little tweak that soon turned into a major pain. My foreman took me to PRO-MED, where our company has a contract. There is also a policy that requires you to take a drug/alchohol screen if you get hurt at work. This was no problem as I have been drug free for some time and I don't drink on the job. But the problem was that the entire first part of the visit was dedicated to this screening process.To my amusement, the breathalyzer was labelled INTOXILYZER 5000...sounded like a prop from an Ed Wood movie. I was (and am) in considerable pain, and you'd think that they would address the PAIN issue first and determine my stoner status after...but no. I was finally examined by a doctor who confirmed that I had a back injury...lumbar spasm, and he wanted some X-rays to make sure I hadn't done any damage to my spinal column. Five X-rays later and it's determined that my bones are fine, except for those arthritic spurs on 3 of my lower vertebra! FUCK!!! I hate surprises like that. The doc said it was a result of "the usual wear and tear that comes with age. Great...age.FUCK.AGE. Seriously.
So he gave me a script for soma and an anti-inflammatory and gave me a "Texas workers compensation work status report" that precludes me from, uh, let's see, ummm.my fucking job! No ladders, no lifting, no climbing,bending,stooping and no work involving heights or scaffolding...great. Oh yeah, I can't run either. I can't tell you how bummed I am about that :P.
I didn't fill the scripts, because I don't like downers/muscle relaxants, I don't like pills period and resent the ones I have to take for that pesky hypertension. Ann's bringing me some Icy Hot topical stuff that I've used before and if that doesn't do, I'll get the soma filled. I also have an exercise sheet that is identical to the one they gave me when I wrecked that car at 18.
Looks like I'll be standing around schleping tools for the next 2 days...oh well, could be worse I suppose.
My foreman did me right and that was cool, too. Driving me to and fro and hanging out with me through it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment