Thursday, January 27, 2005

I WAS HAVING LUNCH AT THE JACK IN THE BOX...

One of very few choices available to the UT electrician at lunch time...You got Jack, clown food, Bowel Kink (burger king)"Home of the stopper", taco bell (complete with the dumpster across the street with a stencil print on it proclaiming they support slavery...(something to do with migrant workers and tomatoes)...Fuck that I say, just give me my double decker taco! It is sans tomato, therefore I may dine guilt free.
This is not a rant on fast food...this is a rant on how our bodies betray us as we get old (er). Back in the day, starting in high school, I could eat whatever I wanted. Here's a sample menu : Get picked up by buddy who had a car...cruise around and smoke a couple of joints, stop at U-tote-M for breakfast: a 16 oz. Dr.Pepper and a honey bun...the kind that looks like it was glazed with white paint, only it's not paint. It's sugar. This follows breakfast at home which was usually a bowel of porridge, bacon slices and toast with velveeta cheese melted onto it by the trusty electric toaster oven. Then it was off to lunch...smoke as many joints as you can and then hit the cafeteria. Alternate your days with tater tots with mustard and chocolate milk, our cornbread crumbled into chocolate milk. If the weed was primo, have both. Dinner was a fat fest of what my english mom learned to cook while growing up...roast beef (with all the fixin's: roast potato wedges, yorkshire pudding, mashed turnips and bread soaked in the drippings that me and sis would fight over). Then back off into the woods around my house with my neighbor friend and my dogs to smoke even more weed, until it was dark. When I graduated from "high" school, I weighed in at an amazing 135 lbs.
If I ate like that now, I would be the south austin equivalent of Jabba the hut. This electricians diet continues to be a source of anxiety for me, I weighed myself on a scale at the school of engineering the other day, and minus the 3 lbs. for clothes and shoes, I clocked in at 198.
Today we opted for clown food...I got a big mac ( haven't had one for ages and the special sauce lured me in ) with fries and a small coke. There was this guy sitting across from me eating, the best I could estimate, 2 quarter pounders(on sale! 2 for $2.22!!!), a large fry and a large coke. He was fucking huge...somewhere in the 300 lb. range, all pasty and zit ridden and consuming at an excelerated rate...the food was flying down his gullet with an almost audible sound. I looked at the couple next to him, also huge, also pasty (sans zits and pasty as latinos can be) and the woman 's ass was hanging a good three inches off the side of the chair...HOT! I surveyed the rest of the dining room...fatties everywhere, of all ages and ethnicities, except for these two asian chicks, who were bone thin, but undoubtedly on their way to poo-poo platter status as they chowed down on McDonalds fat fest. All of them in complete youthful denial of the future that awaits them when they get to be my age.
But when you're young it doesn't matter, you don't think about hypertension and arthritis and diabetes. Ten foot tall and bullet proof is where you're at. Enjoy it while it lasts, young readers. Enjoy.
Maybe if I had continued smoking mass quantities of weed I would still be skinny? Nah.......That couldn't be it. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment