Tuesday, January 11, 2005

The cracks are starting to show
Things at work have been nuts. The call volumes have been huge and folks aren't getting their breaks or lunches (though food is brought in for everyone.) Some folks (like me) are working extra hours, but even those folks who aren't putting in extra time are feeling the strain of the non-stop onslaught of calls. It hadn't been too bad until today when the atmosphere at work was a stew of anger, frustration and despair. Employees are bursting into tears or throwing temper tantrums and the supervisors are climbing up everyone's ass because they too are at the breaking point. Strange emails are appearing on the employee mailing list including one complaining that people were leaving "meat grease" on the surfaces of the workstations thereby subjecting vegetarians to the same experience that the non-vegetarians would have by touching fecal matter. I can assure you that any grease left on my keyboard is from working eleven hours straight with only one 15 minute break and not from "meat grease" since I never eat at my workstation. I prefer to spend those precious moments off the phone walking around to stretch my legs and I've become quit good at eating while taking a stroll. This insanity will most likely continue for some time, but I've only got two more days of it until I get a nice three day break. I'm not sure how I knew a month ago that I was going to need this three day weekend at precisely this time, but I'm sure glad I scheduled it.

No comments:

Post a Comment