Sunday, January 23, 2005

HADRIANS WALL

I've got some of it...right here in Austin, Texas. Two pieces, and some sheeps wool as well. For those of you not familiar with Hadrians wall go here to learn about it. These stones are from the Newcastle upon Tyne end of the wall, which runs the width of england.
My mom brought them back from her visit to the family in 1989...I would imagine that this wall, like alot of historical places in america, to take a souvenir was against the law. You know the mantra...look at it leave it alone. But my mom smuggled back pocket sized stones from Hadrians wall. She grew up in and around Newcastle upon tyne in Durham, in Durham County, and this wall obviously meant something to her. And I have it. Complete with wool from the sheep that shed themselves on the wall.
Now this in and of itself is not significant, people take things they're not suppose to all the time. I was notorious about taking shot glasses out of bars, and early in our courtship, Ann and I took great pleasure in stealing street signs. But these stones are different.
When my Mom went home in 1989, she had been diagnosed with cancer. A cancer that would kill her in 1992. This trip was about closure, a final visit to a family she had been mostly separated from since the 50's, save a visit from her sister Pat in 1978. I remember that visit, and I remember how much Pat looked like my mom. It was the first time I had seen any of my kin from my mom's side of the family. Sure, I had lived in England for a time, but I was an infant and had no memories. It was a very detached family reunion for me.
I imagine my mom, besides reconnecting with her family, reconnected with the place she had grown up and survived a war, met my dad, married him, and left for america. And part of that reconnect was Hadrians wall. I don't know why my mom brought back these stones and this wool, but I suspect it was a reminder of the permanence of home. That wall has been there for centuries, and was there all of my moms life. I have visions of her playing along it as a child, pinicking near it with her family. Maybe even being courted by suitors on it when she was young, before she met my dad. Maybe even they courted there. But I do know it meant enough for her to bring a piece of it back to Texas.
And now it's mine. I've got other stuff to remind me of my mom...pictures, documents and knick-knacks, but these two stones and sheeps wool say more about my mom than anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment