Saturday, April 05, 2008

Time for a new "serenity prayer"
I worked considerably more hours last week which resulted in a number of things, including a complete lack of blog posts. More hours mean more back pain and more stress which translates to a lot less sleep which then results in even more back pain and stress. The stress from this job doesn't just result from the customers yelling at me about things that I have no control over and no resources to fix. It also results from my identifying problems that can be fixed and then the frustration that results when a fix isn't made after weeks, months and in some cases, years of pointing out the problem, even when the solution is readily apparent and simple to implement. And so I have decided that I need a new philosophy about my job. One that acknowledges that nothing will ever be fixed and there's no point in trying to effect any sort of change.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to stop identifying problems in the first place,
and the wisdom that comes from not wasting brain power
on a job that doesn't value it.


No comments:

Post a Comment