Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Hot, humid... oh yeah, it's Texas
Our traditional two weeks of spring are over and it's been hot and muggy the last several days. Come August we'll think this was cool weather, but right now it feels pretty damn miserable. I wasn't in the mood to cook a hot dinner tonight so I thought back to my childhood when we didn't have air conditioning and tried to remember what my mom used to do on evenings like this. Unfortunately my mom wasn't much on variety when it cames to meals and we either had cottage cheese and toast, deviled ham and crackers or sandwiches. Sometimes she might open up a few cans of vienna sausages to make things interesting, but for the most part it was just plain ol' luncheon meat and cheese on white bread sandwiches. But thinking of childhood summer sandwiches reminded me of how cool I used to think those finger sandwiches were that I sometimes got at wedding receptions. And so I made those - chicken salad & pimento cheese with the crust cut off, arranged on a plate with pickles and chips just for fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment