Sunday, November 06, 2005

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO RUIN MY FUN?

I didn't go to the rally today, after consulting on the phone with my friends, we decided it was pointless...the anti klan people were relegated to an area so far away from city hall that it was impossible to yell them down or respond to the bullshit directly. I wanted to engage in some face to face with these assholes, but the city saw to it that I couldn't.
I could have showed up for the news cameras, but I wanted a direct effect. I wanted a fight. Short of that, I blew it off.
And I'm glad I did.
12 klansman showed up at city hall...they weren't dressed up. 3000 anti klan demonstrators showed up, they were dressed up, and putting on a show. Good for them. There were 2 arrests...one was an outstanding warrant, the other was somebody brandishing a club and "menacing".
Huh?
This is a demonstration?
This was a worn out hate group who could only muster 12 people to come to a city in support of a fucked up proposition, countered by 3000 people who were undoubtedly more focused on the proposition.
And good for them...it's wrong. I hope it doesn't pass. I don't believe the 12 members of the klan could make a difference on the kind of gravy served with chicken fried steak much less an amendment that is clearly biased and homophobic.
This is like going to see your favorite band but the guitar player is so wasted he can't play...it's just not fair, and more than a little disappointing.
I remember when marches and protests were real and undiluted...it makes me sad and makes me feel really really old, in that "I remember when" sort of way.
It's a joke. And not a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment