Wednesday, November 09, 2005

I'M JUST A CHAUFFEUR...BUT IT'S GOD DAMN INTERESTING

In an effort to stimulate our dog Sully...you remember him, the barky one...I take him on store runs with me daily. In short order he has realized that when I put on my hat and pick up my keys that it's drive time. he has learned the words "store" "ride" and "go" and "him" and the resultant circular motion and enthusiastic barking makes it hard to put his leash on..."leash" is another one of those words that results in a jumping for joy barking like a mother, providing I have put on my hat and picked up my keys.
Like a good soldier, he jumps in the car and takes his place in the back seat. I lower the windows to head and shoulders level for him to get the smells available to him on our trip. The trips usually involve the exchange of scratch tickets ( I'm about 50 bucks up BTW :) ) at various locations in the hood. New smells. He loves it. Hell, I could probably just reverse to the end of the driveway and pull back in over and over and he would love it.
Routine...and my love of the dog. He's awesome.
He interacts with people he encounters in the parking lots in the strangest way, sometimes it's all waggy tailed good old boy, but sometimes it's a "kill everything" response.
I have noticed that, regardless of color, if you look like a thug, he wants to naturally kick your ass. I love this about Sullivan, a big dog that can discriminate in regards to potential danger...his vibes almost always match mine in terms of questionable characters, and there are many in the parking lot's of the haji marts in my hood.
And I can tell you from experience that nobody wants to fuck with a tattooed guy with a big black dog in the car...it ain't me that scares them off, it's Sully. Nobody fucks with us. I love it.
And while I fully believe he would defend me like my best friend ever Buddy did, we haven't had the chance yet. He is so imposing that people just don't bother to find out.
And that's a good thing, after all, it's a just a ride to the store. With teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment