Thursday, June 30, 2005

The Heat Goes On
Twenty-nine days in a row without rain and 27 days in a row of temperatures above normal. It's not the hottest June I remember, but it seems harder to deal with the heat now that I work in an extremely chilly environment. Or maybe it's just age. The garden isn't doing too well either, even though I've kept it watered. Too much afternoon sun, I suspect. And maybe the heat is why my parents suddenly appeared on my doorstep tonight in the middle of my writing this post. They were worried that something had happened to me because I didn't answer my phone tonight or return their voice mail messages from this morning. Just from this morning! Jebezus. Nothing like getting caught with your pants down, literally, since Rob and I were both sitting around pants free due to the oppressive heat. My first thought when I saw my mom at the front door was that something had happened to my dad. But no, there he was in the car. Turns out the "emergency" was just that there was a job opening at the City with a job description and pay rate that was supposedly perfect for me, but the deadline to apply is 1 PM tomorrow. I looked it up and yes, the job description was about as well matched as anything could get to my experience, expertise and dream salary with one small fatal flaw. It's a temporary position. No benefits, no health insurance and who knows how long it would last. Still, I might apply anyway. I could switch to the night shift where I work now and just work two jobs for a while. Sure, that's 80 hours a week, but I used to do that on a regular basis when I worked at Hines and for just ONE salary. Hmmm...

P.S. I did apply for it, what the heck. After all, the thousands of applications previously sent to the City never once netted me a single phone call. If it's meant to be, they'll call. If not, I've lost nothing but 15 minutes spent updating my on-line application.

No comments:

Post a Comment