Sunday, June 19, 2005

Bustin' ass on my day off
I might have a very hard time getting out of bed tomorrow morning, but I've done nine loads of laundry, taken out several bags of trash, and chopped down quite a few small trees which were then chopped up further and tied up into the required size of bundles for the city to pick up some day (supposed to be every Monday, but they tend to skip our street.) I suppose that doesn't sound like much, but given how out of shape I am and the fact that temps were in the mid 90s outside and mid 80s inside, it was quite the challenge. It was also a very sharp contrast to my usual work day. The office where I were work is kept very cold and I sit down all day long. I pop outside on my breaks and lunch hour to thaw out and stretch my legs, but it's not enough to acclimate to the heat or give much of a workout to my muscles. Today's work was about as opposite as you can get and instead of thawing out and stretching my legs on breaks, I was cooling down and moving as little as possible. Now this wasn't exactly a fun way to spend my day off, but at least it was something different. Still, I had to give myself quite a few motivational speeches to keep going since working in the heat also meant staying away from the beer and giving up one of my favorite things to do on a day off. And the appeal of just doing something different wasn't that intriguing, especially when it involved a lot of physical labor and sweat. No, it was the possible end result that kept me going. The thought that we might once again someday have a nice backyard that I could enjoy instead of the overgrown jungle of small trees and weeds that it's become over the years. Ah, the power of imagination. Without I would have just stayed inside by the AC and drank beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment