Wednesday, June 29, 2005

I HAVE THESE FRIENDS

In Colorado...back in the day I would venture up there once or twice a year and hang out, first with the camping and then travel to the city and see my friends. Some I met when I lived there, and one moved from Austin to the springs.
These days I don't have the time, money or inclination to travel so it's been friendship by phone every once in a while. I spent some time on the phone with my transplant friend, and he's coming to Austin next week, and coming here to have dinner. I am so looking forward to this, I haven't seen him in years. He wants mexican food, and even though I'm not mexican, I think I can pull it off.
I called another friend...my best friend when I lived there, and he called back last night. Unfortunately, I had a collision with a bottle of vodka last night, and by the time he called I was shitfaced...somehow he picked this up (!) "Rob...you've had a couple of cocktails haven't you"? End of call...I called him tonight (not vodka addled) and we caught up.
And when I got off the phone, I felt better than I had in a long time and feeling lucky to have these friends.
A connection that goes back a long way, I'm still close to their heart and vice-versa.
And that's a nice feeling.
And it got me jonsing for a trip up the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment