Saturday, June 18, 2005

Easy come, easy go
Tonight we had a new person cut our front lawn. Our neighbor had hired him and came over and asked if we wanted him to do our lawn for the same low price our other lawn folks did, except that he would trim in addition to mowing. That sounded good to me so the deal was made. I was busy talking to our neighbor and forgot to tell the lawn guy what NOT to mow and as a result all my flowering tobacco plants were weed-whacked and mowed to the ground. My neighbor noticed and pointed it out to me, seeming somewhat disturbed, and I just shrugged my shoulders and said, "Oh well." That wasn't just a brave show of face after months of weeding, watering and nurturing those plants, but how I really felt about the situation. You see, it's a good representation of my life over these past 40 something years. Things sprout, grow and bloom only to get whacked down and I have to start all over again. The first few times I got pretty upset, but after a while I began to realize it's just the way things are, at least for me. Shit happens, things change and what got cut down usually makes good compost for what's to come later. No point in crying over lost flowers, so I think I'll just open a beer and raise a toast to those different blooms I'll see down the road someday. And no matter how hard it tries, life has yet to kill the optimist in me. **Ann sticks her tongue out and says, "Ppphtttpt!" to life **

No comments:

Post a Comment