Monday, June 27, 2005

Hurry up and Wait
I worked last Sunday and I couldn't help but notice how many customers were pissed off that the billing office was closed on Sunday. I guess we live in such an on demand, 24/7 world that people expect everything to be available all the time now. It's a modern day attitude that's a far cry from my childhood when you could still find the proverbial "Gone Fishing" sign on the front door of a business when you came into town to pick up supplies or get your haircut, or whatever. None of my relatives ever got their panties in a wad over it, they just ran what errands they could and figured they would just try again another day. Of course, they weren't prone to wait until the last minute either which brings up another modern day attitude that probably explains the first one. If I had a dollar for every customer who needed their internet connection fixed NOW because it was the last day to [insert task here] then I would be making about $4 more an hour. And in pondering this, I realized that I tend to practice that attitude myself. Unfortunately the financial situation doesn't allow for anything but paying bills at the last minute, but I can at least make sure I wash the socks before we are down to the last pair.

No comments:

Post a Comment