Monday, August 16, 2004

REELIN' IN THE YEARS

I've been feeling weird at work lately, and until today, I wasn't sure why. My mom described it as feeling "low". Not depressed exactly, just out of sorts.
That this feeling only envelopes me at work was a source of curiosity in and of itself. Away from work, I'm ok...just a lingering sadness from losing Mark and the usual worries...bills, money, that kind of day to day bullshit we all deal with.
But sometimes at work, I find myself on the edge of tears.
Today, I figured it out.
It's classic rock radio.
I was placing white plastic washers and black rubber grommets on screws that will hold the lens covers on the never ending four foot light fixtures we are installing (6 to each fixture, I feel sorry for the person who has to change the bulbs on these fixtures).
You'd think that this kind of tedium would bring anyone to tears...but no.
I am learning to be an electrician, and my previous life experience tells me that there is a miasma of tedious shit you must endure to learn a trade or craft.
The radio began playing "reelin' in the years"...by Steely Dan...for the 500th fucking time TODAY.
Augmented by equal parts Boston (They are coming to town soon, so for the last month or so we have been subjected to "More than a feeling" more than I would like...Tom Sholz invented an effect that used to burn up amps in no time...sure it sounded cool,but come on) Aerosmith...I heard "Back in the saddle" today...which I must admit was kinda cool and made me smile; And a myriad of bands from back in the day...my pre punk days.
My clean slate days when I could have been anything I wanted...a psychologist, a shrink, an undercover cop, an actor, a doctor...a nurse...even a soldier in special forces. I could have been anything...the world was wide open to me.
But here I am, starting over...again.
And classic rock radio is there taunting me, reminding me that I wasted my time...through lyrics and riffs that bring back memories of a different time. When the sky was the limit.
Thank you classic rock radio for reminding me of my misspent youth...bastard.

No comments:

Post a Comment