Friday, August 13, 2004

BEETLE ESCAPES...MEETS UNKNOWN FATE...EMPTY SHELL FOUND

Beetle, our first three toed box turtle was AWOL from the 3T pen the other day. The floor had given out from the recent heavy rains creating a gap large enough for one inquisitive as he was to tunnel down to and out and go off exploring.
When I jacked up the pen floor this after, there he was, or rather,there was his shell.
Did he drown? Did he get eaten by a racoon? I know the dogs didn't do it, cause they would have brought him in the house,like a toy. A mystery...
That's 2 for the season...first my beloved Norton and now, everyone's favorite (Ann included), Beetle.
He was more like a dog than a turtle. He would come when you called him, sit up on his hind legs and beg for food and/or pets under his chin.
This is the highest loss in our 8 years of turtle herding, sad as it is we have been very fortunate to have the success we've had.
During my search of the pen for him I discovered 2 clutches of eggs! Considering his libido, I'm guessing (hoping really) they are his progeny and they will hatch out.





No comments:

Post a Comment