Sunday, August 29, 2004

I HATE IT WHEN THIS HAPPENS

I had a few screwdrivers at home this morning (hey-it's the weekend and I waited till "brunch time" ok?). Then my buddy Joel called and we met at Maudies. He had Randy with him, another bud of mine, and we had several rounds of the infamous RNS...well, Randy had frozens and Joel had red wine cause he's on that south beach diet (it's working, he looks thinner).
Anyway, by the time we clocked out (around 4pm) I was toast...no...I was FUCKING toast. Vodka and tequila are a dangerous...no...a FUCKING dangerous combination.
I walk in the door and Ann says..."you are fucked up" (she's astute like that). Ann cruised to the store, the last thing I remember was asking her to pick up more orange juice...like I needed to drink some MORE...and then I was asleep, or more appropriately, passed the fuck out.Spooning with the dogs (who had no clue I was drunker than cooter brown, just thrilled that I was on the bed and wanted to cuddle).Who the fuck is cooter brown anyway?And how does one know when they are drunker than him? Just askin'.
Ann woke me up at 9:45 to eat dinner...brats if I was interested. I got up and ate a brat.
I tried to go back to bed but no go...so here I sit at 1:40 in the am, Ann's in bed sound asleep, and between 11:30 and now Sullivan and Irene have made separate trips out of the bedroom and looked at me with that "what are you doing up-you should be in the bed with the rest of the pack"(Theo has not made an appearance because he is happily drooling on my pillow,fast asleep) before toodling back to the bed and sleep, where I should be, but I'm not, because I already got my 5 hours on average sleep and I'm wide fucking awake at 1:40 am...which doesn't happen to me...ever...well, since I got old anyway.
So, after watching "from dusk until dawn" on HBO and mindlessly cruising the net, here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PART TWO

Me and Sister and JoJo and mom were driving back to austin, at a gas stop I bought some quarts of miller beer. Mom said she didn't care if I drank the beer, but I better not give any to JoJo. I did, and she said if I did it again, she would dump us out on the side of the road and we could make our own way back to Austin. I did it again, she busted us via the rearview mirror, and true to her word, she ditched us on the side of the road somewhere near Vidor, Tx. Vidor is not somewhere you want to be if you are a person of color, or, in the case of me and JoJo, hair farming hippies.Some towns have lions club or rotary club signs at the city limits, but in Vidor they were KKK signs, and back in the day the stories go, signs that warned "coloreds" to not linger after dark.
But there we were, sitting on the right of way, drinking miller beer quarts and laughing as we watched the car disappear over the horizon.
Then we realized where we were...fucking Vidor, Tx. A very dangerous place for people of our ilk.
Hitching was out of the question, the chances of being picked up and killed were high, or at the very least,driven to some barn where rednecks would shave off our hair with sheep shears.
So , after the beer was gone, we got up and started walking...back to Austin.
We walked for awhile, and there were no cars in either direction, it was desolate and hot.
We saw a car coming from the opposite direction and JoJo said "that's my mom". And it was, Sister had convinced her to come back for us.
We made it home and mom was cool enough to cover for me and sister with my parents...she didn't rat us out...thank you mom.
That night, after everyone else had either left or gone to sleep, sister and I sat in her room in the dark, the moon light as our nightlight, listening to Dylan and recounting our adventure.
Sister turned me on to Dylan, her guitar had a small picture of him taped to the pick guard.
It was a martin guitar with a tobacco finish and an ebony neck....beautiful.
Just like her.Sister, I miss you.


No comments:

Post a Comment